this blog is to help others as i document my trial and errors regarding my very, very angry stomach

Monday, July 22, 2013

First Date with the Gastro

As noted in the previous post, my first date with the gastroenterologist didn't go as I had planned.  I, like most people these days, did my homework. I figured out I probably had Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but wanted to rule out any allergies or diseases first.  So, I went to an allergist and got tested for food allergies and had a blood work up done for celiacs and other GI diseases.  When the tests came back negative, I knew I probably had IBS.  I didn't need a $400 dollar doctor visit to confirm that's what I had.  

Well that's how the appointment went.  She [the gastro] wanted another blood work up to make sure I didn't have any other GI illnesses (including celiacs, which I had already ruled out).  This blood test also came back... surprise, surprise... negative! 

She suggested I started taking an oral fiber to help with my watery stool, such as Benefiber, which is a corn dextrose based fiber.  CVS sells a generic brand call Easy Fiber.  She also suggested I started tracking the foods I ate with a food diary. The food diary became the hardest part of my homework for me to be compliant with because as a girl that LOVES food and LOVES to eat, keeping track of every piece of food I put it my mouth was rather hard.  I didn't really get good at keeping a food diary until months down the road.  

So, summary of my 1st appointment:

  1. take Benefiber
  2. track my foods
My next appointment with the gastroenterologist would be 3 months later, in early April 2013.  

No comments:

Post a Comment