this blog is to help others as i document my trial and errors regarding my very, very angry stomach

Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Beginning

I used to be a normal, healthy, go lucky, young female.  I could eat and drink anything I wanted with full enjoyment.  Late in college I became lactose intolerant.  Big deal.  The majority of people are lactose intolerant to some extent.  So, I just didn't eat cheese, yogurt, or ice cream in large quantities, but I was still able to eat these foods without too many issues.  This did not last. 

I've always been an athlete and in May 2012 I ran my first (and quite possibly my last) marathon.  Training went well, but as my runs go longer my stomach start getting... well... angry.  I attributed this to the long miles and those nasty gels/gummies I had to eat while running in order keep all my electrolytes in balance and give me fuel.  

After I finished my marathon (I did extremely well) my stomach problems still persisted.  In fact the problems intensified around July/August 2012.  A few days a week around 2-4pm I would become extremely bloated and uncomfortable.  Eventually these symptoms would iron themselves out before I went to bed and would be completely gone when I woke up in the morning.  

The bloating, cramping, uncomfortable feeling continued to get worse.  By October/November 2012, these symptoms occurred every day and usually pain or cramping accompanied them.  I started to find it hard to treat patients.  Being a physical therapist, a job that requires me to move around on the time, is a hard job to do when you are bloated, uncomfortable, and always trying to hold in a fart.  I found it very uncomfortable to wear any sort of pants with an actual waist.  Most days I resorted to wearing scrubs, tights, or exercise clothes.  I was so uncomfortable that I didn't want to go out with friends or make plans on the weekend.  Everyday was uncomfortable and painful not just physically, but mentally as well.

In December 2012, I decided to go see an allergist.  Maybe I was allergic to a type of food that I didn't know about.  Maybe I had celiacs (even though it doesn't run in my family).  I got a whole work up for food and a blood work up for celiacs.  All my tests came back negative.  I am not allergic to wheat. I am not allergic to any foods.  Back to square one. 

So, in January 2013, I decided to go to a gastroenterologist.  I lived right across from a hospital, so why not go.  My first appointment was very disheartening.  I had so much hope for this appointment.  I hoped that this doctor would have some magic cure for my ailments and make me "normal" again.  Well, let's face it,  there isn't a magical cure for gastric diseases especially when you are labeled in the Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) category.  Many treatments are not proven and work for some while not working for others.  The realm of IBS is trial and error.  And well... IBS just plain old sucks.  

I hope through this blog that I can help someone with their own dietary issues, help them realize that they are not alone, and maybe save someone some frustration.  This blog is a journey through my trials and errors.  Hopefully if I find out what works for me, some recipes and ideas that will work for you. 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment